[newbie] Looking for a good introduction to object oriented programming with Python

lipska the kat lipskathekat at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 04:16:48 EDT 2012

On 07/08/12 06:35, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 10:24:10 +0100, lipska the kat wrote:
>
>> er, the point I was trying to make is that when you say 'interface' it
>> could mean so many things. If you say 'facade' everyone knows exactly
>> what you are talking about. And that is EXACTLY the point.
>
> The whole point of design patterns is to avoid getting stuck in
> incidental implementation details of a particular library or class and
> look for higher-level design patterns.
>
> The same applies to facade -- it's just a special case of the interface
> pattern.

So you AGREE with me, fantastic, what are we arguing about then (it's
great fun though isn't it) facade is a SPECIAL case of interface.
You seem to be missing this point.

I may not be as smart or experienced as you but in my fairly wide
experience of software projects of all sizes the biggest problem is one
of communication. Design patterns, in my experience help with communication.

I have designed and implemented many facades, I have also designed many
interfaces. I do not think Java is the be all and end all of programming
languages but it has paid off my mortgage and provided me with a good
living. Python interests me because it is different. As far as I can see
if I'm talking with a Pythonista or a Java developer or a hardware
engineer (possibly) or a C++ guru or a university lecturer or an Eiffel
developer and I say 'interface' they will all visualise something
slightly different, if I say 'facade' they will all (hopefully) know
EXACTLY what I am talking about.

lipska

--
Lipska the Kat: Troll hunter, sandbox destroyer
and farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun