Script to easily install eGenix PyRun in a target directory

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Aug 6 12:06:52 EDT 2012

Hello,

in case you haven't heard of eGenix PyRun yet, this is a new simple
to install Python runtime that can be used independently of a system
installed Python version and is very small compared to a regular
Python installation.

See http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/ for details.

We're using this runtime in our mxODBC Connect Server product and
also internally as virtualenv replacement. At EuroPython we've
release it as open source product.

To make it easy to install eGenix PyRun, we've now added a script
to our download server which lets you install PyRun just as easy
as virtualenv (but without its dependency on a possible system
installation of Python):

https://downloads.egenix.com/python/install-pyrun

Per default, the script will download the PyRun binary for the target
platform and install distribute as well as pip in the given target
directory.

Usage is simple:

install-pyrun targetdir

Try install-pyrun --help for a list of options.

Running the script will leave you with a targetdir setup with bin/,
lib/ and include/ dir as runtime environment. You can then immediately
start using PyRun via bin/pyrun or install additional software using
bin/pip.

The installation script is brand new and we'd appreciate any feedback
you can provide to enhance it.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 06 2012)
2012-08-25: FrOSCon, St. Augustin, Germany ...             19 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/