Looking for a good introduction to object oriented programming with Python

lipska the kat lipskathekat at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 03:43:08 EDT 2012

On 05/08/12 23:51, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 18:45:47 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>
>> Don't look for Object-Oriented Programming -- since the first widely
>> popular OOP language was C++ (Smalltalk was earlier, but rather
>> specialized, whereas C++ started as a preprocessor for C).
>> Rather look for Object-Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD). An OOAD
>> textbook /should/ be language neutral and, these days, likely using the
>> constructs/notation of UML [which derived from a merger of two or three
>> separate proposals for OOAD tools]
>
> Good lord. I'd rather read C++ than UML.  And I can't read C++.

This reminds me of a consultant I once worked with.
He had worked on government projects for a decade or more and was a
staunch supporter of the 'big bang' approach to software development.
I asked him how many of these had been a success ... deafening silence.

His attitude to UML was 'I'd rather cut my right arm off than waste time
with that new fangled nonsense'

UML works, non technical 'stakeholders' (yuk) can understand it at a
high level and in my HUMBLE opinion the sequence diagram is the single
most important piece of documentation in the entire software project

jeez

lipska

--
Lipska the Kat: Troll hunter, sandbox destroyer
and farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun