Looking for a good introduction to object oriented programming with Python

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 22:44:31 EDT 2012

On Aug 6, 10:22 am, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> In my not-so-humble opinion, the popularity of Design Patterns has a lot
> to do with the fact that they are so abstract and jargon-ridden that they
> have become a badge of membership into an elite. Shorn of their excessive
> abstractness, they're not very special. People were writing helper
> functions to assemble complex data long before the Builder pattern was
> named, and a Facade is just an interface layer.

I think you've entirely missed the point of Design Patterns.

No one claims that the Go4 DP book introduced Builders, Singletons,
Facades. The point was to identify _and name_ such patterns, so
programmers could actually talk about repeated behaviour.  Design
patterns are an attempt to encapsulate and express experience, that's
it. There's nothing mystical or special about them at all, and to be
honest I never ever such claims come from proponents of them, only
their critics.

Why is it an "elitist" action to want to be able to share experience
and learn from that of others? If anything, I find the problem is with
the insular nature of most developers and the preponderance of NIH
attitudes.