Looking for a good introduction to object oriented programming with Python

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Aug 5 19:12:35 EDT 2012

In article <501ef904$0$29867$c3e8da3$5496439d at news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 18:45:47 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>
> > Don't look for Object-Oriented Programming -- since the first widely
> > popular OOP language was C++ (Smalltalk was earlier, but rather
> > specialized, whereas C++ started as a preprocessor for C).
> >
> > Rather look for Object-Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD). An OOAD
> > textbook /should/ be language neutral and, these days, likely using the
> > constructs/notation of UML [which derived from a merger of two or three
> > separate proposals for OOAD tools]
>
> Good lord. I'd rather read C++ than UML.  And I can't read C++.

UML is under-rated.  I certainly don't have any love of the 47 different
flavors of diagram, but the basic idea of having a common graphical
language for describing how objects and classes interact is pretty
useful.  Just don't ask me to remember which kind of arrowhead I'm
supposed to use in which situation.