when an iterable object is exhausted or not

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Aug 4 16:24:02 EDT 2012

On 08/04/12 14:20, Franck Ditter wrote:
> Two similar iterable objects but with a different behavior :
>
> $$$ i = range(2,5)
> $$$ for x in i : print(x,end=' ')
>
> 2 3 4
> $$$ for x in i : print(x,end=' ')        # i is not exhausted
>
> 2 3 4
>
> --------- Compare with :
>
> $$$ i = filter(lambda c : c.isdigit(), 'a1b2c3')
> $$$ for x in i : print(x,end=' ')
>
> 1 2 3
> $$$ for x in i : print(x,end=' ')        # i is exhausted
>
> $$$
>
> IMHO, this should not happen in Py3k.
> What is the rationale of this (bad ?) design, which forces the programmer
> to memorize which one is exhaustable and which one is not ?...

I can't speak to the rationale, but it seems that a range() object
has some extra features that a normal iter doesn't:

  >>> i = iter(range(2,5))
  >>> for x in i: print (x, end=' ')
  2 3 4 >>> for x in i: print (x, end=' ')

(your 2nd behavior, and what I'd expect).

So my guess would be that the "for {var} in {thing}" triggers a
re-calling of range.__iter__ since it's not an iterator to begin with.

-tkc