attribute is accessed from Nonetype

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Aug 3 20:23:26 EDT 2012

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 08:41:20 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Dave Angel <d at davea.name> wrote:
>> I'm sorry, what's not clear?  Nonetype is not the same as NoneType.
>> Python is case sensitive.
>
> There isn't a NoneType either. I get a NameError.

Shame on you :-P

Ramit Prasad showed exactly how you can see NoneType in action in the
part of the post you snipped from your reply.

py> len(None)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()

NoneType *is* a standard type. It's just not bound to a publicly
accessible name in the built-ins. But you can easily get access to the
class using either:

type(None)
None.__class__

or in Python 2.6 at least,

import types
types.NoneType

(although it has been removed from Python 3.2 for some reason).

--
Steven