Eclipse and the Python plugin

lipska the kat lipskathekat at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 07:34:36 EDT 2012

A while ago someone asked me what I thought of the Eclipse plugin for
python, well I just downloaded and installed the latest version of
Eclipse for Java (Juno) followed by the Python plugin. After a while
messing about with it I can only say ... phew, what a relief. The plugin
looks like it automates a whole bunch of tasks such as packaging and you
can configure it to use Jython, Iron Python (neither of which I have
used) and some other stuff I have never heard of

I installed all this on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 with no problems whatsoever.

There's a debugger (which I haven't tried), code completion, error
highlighting and much more.

Installing the plugin is documented here
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/class/csse/resources/Eclipse/eclipse-python-configuration.htm

And the most amazing thing of all is it's all completely free.

I can now create, debug and test a simple IRC server written in Java
and an IRC Bot that I am attempting to build in Python side by side in
the same IDE simply by switching profiles (click one button). Astonishing.

You might like to try it

Just FYI so please don't tell me off (again).

lipska

--
Lipska the Kat: Troll hunter, sandbox destroyer
and farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun