numpy (matrix solver) - python vs. matlab

Kiuhnm kiuhnm03.4t.yahoo.it
Mon Apr 30 06:48:21 EDT 2012

On 4/30/2012 3:35, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> But you still need to check the cond(). If it is too large, not good.
> How large and all that, depends on the problem itself. But the rule of
> thumb, the lower the better. Less than 100 can be good in general, but I
> really can't give you a fixed number to use, as I am not an expert in
> this subjects, others who know more about it might have better
> recommendations.

Alas, there's no fixed number and as if that wasn't enough, there are
many condition numbers, each one with different properties. For
instance, the Skeel condition number is scale-invariant and it's useful
when a matrix is ill-conditioned just because its rows are out of scale.

Kiuhnm