Learn Technical Writing from Unix Man in 10 Days

John O'Hagan research at johnohagan.com
Sun Apr 29 03:06:19 EDT 2012

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:55:42 -0700 (PDT)
Xah Lee <xahlee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Learn Technical Writing from Unix Man in 10 Days
>
> Quote from man apt-get:
>
>     remove
>         remove is identical to install except that packages are
> removed
>         instead of installed.
>
> Translation:
>
>     kicking
>         kicking is identical to kissing except that receiver is kicked
>         instead of kissed.

That's funny - out of context. Maybe you're trying out material for a stand-up
comedy routine, but I'm sure you're aware that the sentence you quote sensibly
obviates repeating the semantics of "install", which have just been described
in detail in the immediately preceding paragraph. If it did repeat them,
wouldn't you mock the docs anyway, for redundancy?

Regards,
--
John