Python id() does not return an address [was Re: why () is () and [] is [] work in other way?]

OKB (not okblacke) brenNOSPAMbarn at NObrenSPAMbarn.net
Sat Apr 28 14:04:07 EDT 2012

Adam Skutt wrote:

>> You can't treat id() as an address. Did you miss my post when I
>> demonstrated that Jython returns IDs generated on demand, starting
>> from 1? In general, there is *no way even in principle* to go from
>> a Python ID to the memory location (address) of the object with
>> that ID, because in general objects *may not even have a fixed
>> address*. Objects in Jython don't, because the Java virtual
>> machine can move them in memory.
>
> Yes, there is a way.  You add a function deref() to the language.

    	This is getting pretty absurd.  By that logic you could say "With
Python, you can end all life on earth!  You just add a function to
the language called nuclear_winter() that remotely accesses warhead
launch sites in the US and Russia, enters the appropriate launch codes,
and launches the entire nuclear arsenal!"

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell