why () is () and [] is [] work in other way?

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 20:16:10 EDT 2012

On Apr 26, 7:33 pm, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:22:55 -0700, Adam Skutt wrote:
> > I often wonder what the world would be like if Python, C#, and Java
> > embraced value types more, and had better support for pure functions.
>
> They would be slower, require more memory,

Funny, Haskell frequently beats C in both categories.  MATLAB is
faster and more memory efficient than naive C matrix code, since it
has a very efficient copy-on-write implementation.  As the various C++
matrix libraries will show you, efficient COW is much harder when you
have to deal with C++ aliasing rules.

> harder to use, and far, far less popular.

Alas, these two are probably true.

Adam