Upgrading from 2.7 to 3.x

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Apr 26 01:38:06 EDT 2012

deuteros, 26.04.2012 05:08:
> I'm fairly new to Python I have version 2.7 installed on my computer. However
> my professor wants us all to use the latest version of Python.

Did he/she explicitly tell you to install Python 3? 2.7 is the latest
version of Python 2.x, some people may mix that up.

OTOH, especially for educational purposes, Python 3 is likely the better
choice.

> How do I go
> about upgrading? Do I just install the new version? Do I have to do anything
> with the old version already installed?

You can keep the old version and install the new one next to it. However,
we cannot give more detailed help without knowing what operating system you
are using on your computer. In case it's Windows (which is the usual guess
when people fail to mention what they have, although it may include MacOS
these days), run the installer that you can download at http://python.org

Also note that there is a separate mailing list (the tutor list)
specifically targeted at new Python users: