why () is () and [] is [] work in other way?

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 00:38:01 EDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 4/22/2012 3:43 PM, John Nagle wrote:

>> Bad design. Where "is" is ill-defined, it should raise ValueError.
>

> There is no ambiguity about the meaning of 'is' in Python. It is always
> well-defined. So the suggestion is a nullity. The equivalent function form
> in Python is

Bollocks it's well defined. We've already agreed that "1 is 1" may or
may not return True. Then let's just go to the definition:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Well-Defined.html

"An expression is called "well-defined" (or unambiguous) if its
definition assigns it a unique interpretation or value. Otherwise, the
expression is said to not be well-defined or to be ambiguous. "

The same complaint applies to your suggestion that id() is
well-defined, and I stopped reading there.

-- Devin