Simple TLS NPN negotiation not working on socket server

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Apr 18 07:53:06 EDT 2012

Alek Storm <alek.storm <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Connecting with either Firefox 11 or Chrome (which both support NPN) causes
> this to print None, rather than a protocol name. What's going on?

Ok, I've just tried with Firefox 11. You have to go in "about:config" and set
"network.http.spdy.enabled" to true. Then the code snippet works (it prints
"spdy/2").
My OpenSSL version is 'OpenSSL 1.0.1-beta3 23 Feb 2012'.

I don't have Chrome to test, but perhaps there's a similar configuration option.

> Does the protocol matter? PROTOCOL_SSLv23 gives the same result, but
PROTOCOL_TLSv1
> makes it die with SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:wrong version number (strange, because
> both browsers ostensibly support TLS).

PROTOCOL_TLSv1 works here (with Firefox 11.0).

Regards

Antoine.