Framework for a beginner

Bryan bryanjugglercryptographer at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 04:54:09 EDT 2012

biofob wrote:
> I am new to python and only have read the Byte of Python ebook, but want to move to the web. I am tired of being a CMS tweaker and after I tried python, ruby and php, the python language makes more sense (if that makes any "sense" for the real programmers). I heard a lot of good things about Django, Pyramid, etc, but I dont want to pick the most used or the one with the most magic. Instead I was thinking about one that could "teach" me python along the way. My plan is to rebuild my portfolio using python and a framework and also benefit my python learning along the way.

Warning: I'm a mere dabbler in web frameworks.

If by rebuilding your portfolio you mean to position yourself for a
job, then popularity counts a lot. As measured by job openings, Django
is king. It's a fine framework and reasonably Pythonic. The Django
community is large and sophisticated and helpful They have there own
app download system, which I haven't used but is supposed to work
really well. Django has emphasized backwards compatibility with the
down-side that, last I heard, there was no plan to move to Python 3.

Your disinterest in "magic" plays against Web2Py. Were the goal to go
from squat to professional quality web site quickly and easily, Web2Py
would be it.

Web2Py does a load of complex and interesting stuff behind the scenes.
Among web frameworks, it rocks like none other at teaching and using
web best-practices, at the cost of hiding or skirting core Python
practices. Professor Massimo DiPierro fist built Web2Py for his own
particular problem: teaching web programming in one semester. Without
it, his students spent so much time on the tools that his course could
not cover the essential topics.

Turbo-Gears has a lot going for it, largely by adoption. It demands
more elbow-grease than Django or Web2Py, but the extra effort has
benefits beyond the framework. In particular, Turbo-Gears has adopted
SQLAlchemy, which is significantly more demanding and vastly more
powerful than the purpose-built automatic table-generators of Django
and Web2Py.

Then there are the less than full-stack frameworks and libraries. But
this post is probably too long already.

--
--Bryan