python module

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Mon Apr 16 21:04:01 EDT 2012

On 17/04/2012 01:21, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Mark Lawrence<breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:
>>  I'd like to point out that it's frustrating when you find a piece of code
>>  that you'd like to use but neither easy_install nor pip work cos it can't be
>>  found.  Worse still when you want to try a really popular product like
>>  taskcoach, but you can't get it cos some moronic OSes insist on being case
>>  sensitive.  Does that warrant a :) or a :(
>
> Case sensitive is fine as long as everyone's consistent (eg
> all-lowercase). The trouble with case insensitivity is that it becomes
> non-trivial in Unicode - in fact, i18n case folding is impossible, or
> nearly so. It's not as simple as masking bit 5 the way it is in ASCII.

An example of the problem of case-insensitivity is Turkic I.

The Latin alphabet treats "I" and "i" as different cases of the same
letter. When Turkish adopted the Latin alphabet that letter was split
into two: dotted ("İ" and "i") and undotted ("I" and "ı").

Therefore, when asking whether "I" and "i" I the same letter, ignoring
case, you need to know whether it's Turkish.