Possible change to logging.handlers.SysLogHandler

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 10:34:54 EDT 2012

Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I am thinking of removing the BOM insertion in 2.7 and 3.2 - although
> it is a change in behaviour, the current behaviour does seem broken
> with regard to RFC 5424 conformance. However, as some might disagree
> with that assessment and view it as a backwards-incompatible behaviour
> change, I thought I should post this to get some opinions about
> whether this change is viewed as objectionable.

As there have been no objections, the BOM insertion code has been removed from
SysLogHandler; these changes will appear in Python 2.7.4, Python 3.2.4, Python
3.3 and later versions.

If you do need a BOM inserted into the message sent to your syslog daemon, a
cookbook recipe will shortly appear telling you how to do this.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip