Python Gotcha's?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Apr 15 19:24:41 EDT 2012

On 4/15/2012 4:01 PM, Bryan wrote:

> On Windows the file extension determines what executable opens the
> file. Running both Python 2 and Python 3 on Windows is painful where
> it doesn't need to be. I'd like to encourage my users to check out
> Python 3, but installing it on Windows will take over the '.py'
> extension and break stuff that currently works.

There used to be an option to not do that, but it seems to have either
be removed or hidden. I admit that telling people to re-install 2.7 (or
whatever), just to recapture the file extension, is a nuisance. The new
PEP397 runner seems to be a better solution.

> The file extension default should work with the the recommended
> transition method,

There is no single recommended transition method at present.

> which is not dual-major-version code.

The acceptance of irrelevant 'u' prefixes for strings in 3.3 is de facto
acceptance of that as *one* recommended method.

--
Terry Jan Reedy