f python?

Rainer Weikusat rweikusat at mssgmbh.com
Wed Apr 11 10:49:26 EDT 2012

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <spamtrap at library.lspace.org.invalid> writes:
> In <87wr5nl54w.fsf at sapphire.mobileactivedefense.com>, on 04/10/2012
>    at 09:10 PM, Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat at mssgmbh.com> said:
>
>>'car' and 'cdr' refer to cons cells in Lisp, not to strings. How the
>>first/rest terminology can be sensibly applied to 'C strings' (which
>>are similar to linked-lists in the sense that there's a 'special
>>termination value' instead of an explicit length)
>
> A syringe is similar to a sturgeon in the sense that they both start
> with S.

And the original definition of 'idiot' is 'a guy who cannot learn
because he is too cocksure to already know everything'. Not that this
would matter in the given context ...

> LISP doesn't have arrays,

Lisp has arrays.

> and C doesn't allow you to insert
> into the middle of an array.

Well, of course it does: You just have to move the content of all
memory cells 'after' the new insert 'one up'. But unless I'm very much
mistaken, the topic was "first and rest" (car and cdr), as the terms
could be used with a C string and not "whatever Shmuel happens to
believe to know" ...