Question on Python 3 shell restarting

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Apr 9 15:47:58 EDT 2012

On 4/9/2012 8:09 AM, Albert W. Hopkins wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-04-08 at 20:09 +0200, Franck Ditter wrote:
>> How may I get a fresh Python shell with Idle 3.2 ?
>> I have to run the same modules several times with all
>> variables cleared.

If you have the module in an idle edit window, F5-run restarts after
saving any changes. On the menu, Shell/Restart Shell does just that and
gives the shortcut -- Cntl-F6 for me.

> Why don't you write your module as a script and pass the variables via
> command  line

Perhaps variables are not passed on the command line. Perhaps there are
no variables to be passed. Perhaps he did not write the modules. Perhaps
he is running on Windows, where command line usage is discouraged.
(Command Prompt is hidden away and its operation once found is faulty.)
Perhaps he is doing this at work where he does not control things.
Perhaps he is editing and re-running to test, for which Idle is
excellent, and which I do all the time.

 > like most human beings?

Snarkiness not helpful.

--