Python Gotcha's?

André Malo ndparker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 17:08:11 EDT 2012

* Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> For a 21st century programming language or data format to accept only one
> type of quotation mark as string delimiter is rather like having a 21st
> century automobile with a hand crank to start the engine instead of an
> ignition. Even if there's a good reason for it (which I doubt), it's
> still surprising.

Here's a reason: KISS. Actually I've never understood the reason for
multiple equivalent quote characters. There are languages where these are
not equivalent, like perl, C or shell script. There it makes way more
sense.

(If a parser doesn't accept foreign syntax, that's reasonable enough for me,
too.)

nd