Number of languages known [was Re: Python is readable] - somewhat OT

Nathan Rice nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 15:49:58 EDT 2012

> The "building cabinets" problem is interesting:
>
>  1. To actually build a cabinet, there's a lot of domain knowledge
> that's probably implicit in most circumstances.  A carpenter might
> tell another carpenter which hinge to use, but they won't have to talk
> about why doors need hinges or how to do the assembly.
>  2. It's quite common for humans to use computer programs as part of
> the design process.
>  3. Often, the output of a CAD program (at the file level) is some
> sort of vector representation that only describes the end product
> (basic dimensions, etc.).
>
> I wonder if there are mini-languages out there that allow you to
> describe cabinets in a very descriptive way, where the description
> easily translates to the actual steps of building the cabinet, not
> just the final dimensions.

I think if you were to describe the parts of the cabinet that needed
to be assembled separately (and thus could be viewed as separate
entities in some sense) and showed the cabinet as the composition of
those parts, you would be on the right track.  Being a mediocre
carpenter, I can't really say anything conclusively here though :)