Number of languages known [was Re: Python is readable] - somewhat OT

Phil Runciman philr at aspexconsulting.co.nz
Tue Apr 3 17:50:24 EDT 2012

In the 70's I worked with Honeywell 16 Series computers controlling a variety of systems. The patches were loaded as a starting address followed by machine code, using a piece of software for this purpose. This all sounds rather similar to Mark's situation. The reason however is less obvious. On the H16 series we did not have a multi-access O/S and the process of assembling and linking a large system involved many steps. Often the modifications required were trivial. It was generally easier to reload a memory dump from off paper tape and then apply the patches.

Phil Runciman