Is Programing Art or Science?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon Apr 2 20:04:51 EDT 2012

On 4/2/2012 4:52 PM Jürgen Exner said...
> "Pascal J. Bourguignon"<pjb at informatimago.com>  wrote:
>> ccc31807<cartercc at gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Programming is neither an art nor a science, but a trade.
>
> Oh, that's why it is tought in trade schools alongside butchery,
> plumbing, masonry, and chimney sweeping

Yes -- back when we opened our first programming/consulting shop in
1999, our first employee was a trade school grad -- maybe ICS or ICT in
San Francisco?

> and why you don't find any
> programming classes at university.

Nobody said that the only option to learn programming was in university.
  Lots of us self-taught well before then....

Emile