Number of languages known [was Re: Python is readable] - somewhat OT

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Mon Apr 2 19:28:58 EDT 2012

> PHP is a language that I wish would die off quickly and
> gracefully.  I feel like the good things of PHP have already
> been subsumed into the ecosystems of stronger programming
> languages (including Python).

The one killer feature PHP has to offer over other languages:
ease of efficient deployment on cheap/free hosting.  When I go to
deploy Python projects, it ends up either being as slow CGI on
the cheap/free hosting, or it ends up needing
WSGI/gunicorn/whatever on a more expensive service (whether
shared, VPS, or full hardware).

I dream of a day that deploying Python/Django apps is as
cheap/easy as deploying PHP code.

-tkc