Python Script Works Locally But Not Remotely with SSH

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 19:17:47 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM, goldtech <goldtech at worldpost.com> wrote:
> I have a WinXP PC running an SSH server and I have a Linux PC with an
> SSH client  and logged into the XP seemingly OK. It's all on my
> personal LAN, the connection seems OK.
>
> I have a py file on the XP that I run via SSH from the Linux, it's:
>
> import webbrowser
> webbrowser.open('www.google.com')
>
> This runs OK started on the local XP PC, the browser Firefox opens and
> goes to the site, or it opens a tab to the site. But executing that
> same file via SSH does not open Firefox...doing it via SSH starts
> Firefox ( I see it begin in the process manager and I see web
> activity) but Firefox does not open it's window.
>
> Why the does the window not open when the script is started remotely?

How are you running the ssh server on the windows machine?  Is it a
windows service?  If so, what user does it run as, and is the service
configured to be allowed to interact with the desktop?

IIRC, by default most windows services run as a different user than
you, and do not have permission to interact with your desktop session.
 You may be able to get the firefox window to pop up on the ssh server
machine if you allow it to interact with the desktop, assuming that's
what you're trying to do.

Jerry