Number of languages known [was Re: Python is readable] - somewhat OT

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 23:18:40 EDT 2012

On Mar 30, 3:37 pm, Nathan Rice <nathan.alexander.r... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> We live in a world where the tools that are used are based on
> tradition (read that as backwards compatibility if it makes you feel
> better) and as a mechanism for deriving personal identity.  The world
> is backwards and retarded in many, many ways, this problem is
> interesting to me because it actually cuts across a much larger tract
> than is immediately obvious.

Do you produce commercial code in a team? Because going by your
absolutist bullshit here, it certainly doesn't sound like it.

When I join an organisation that requires language A as all of its
systems are written in it, is that 'tradition' or 'personal identity'?
How is 'compatibility' - either with existing systems or existing
*developers* - a "backwards and retarded" approach to complex
problems?

If I've chosen language A because some aspect of its syntax maps
better onto my mind (or for _whatever_ reason that makes individuals
prefer one language to another), and you've chosen language B: who
gets to decide which is the 'superior' language, which is the 'better'
mapping etc?

You're arguing for a top-down centralised approach to language
development that just will _never_ exist, simply because it cannot. If
you don't accept that, I believe there's a fascinating fork called
"Python 4000" where your ideas would be readily adopted.