python 2.7.1 HP-UX 11 ia64 built not supporting thread

Wong Wah Meng-R32813 r32813 at freescale.com
Wed Sep 28 06:14:08 EDT 2011

Hello there,

I included --with-threads option into the configure script calling, which it failed to add the -D_REENTRANT into Makefile. So I manually added this into OPT of the Makefile. I ran make again and generated a new python binary. However, the new binary is still not able to start a new thread from the thread module.

I reviewed the config.log file, I think this failure has caused the build with threads failed. Cthreads.h header file is missing. Should this be included in my HP UX Compiler or it comes from python source? In python source I only found pythread.h. Anyway, I am only guessing what is wrong.

Hope to hear some feedback here, whether this is something missing or a bug.

configure:8407: checking for --with-threads
configure:8427: result: yes
configure:8484: checking for _POSIX_THREADS in unistd.h
configure:8503: result: yes
configure:8508: checking cthreads.h usability
configure:8508: cc +DD64 -I/home/r32813/local/include -c -g  conftest.c >&5
"conftest.c", line 128: error #3696-D: cannot open source file "cthreads.h"
  #include <cthreads.h>
                       ^
1 error detected in the compilation of "conftest.c".

| #define HAVE_LIBDLD 1
| #define _REENTRANT 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <cthreads.h>
configure:8508: result: no
configure:8508: checking for cthreads.h
configure:8508: result: no
configure:8521: checking mach/cthreads.h usability
configure:8521: cc +DD64 -I/home/r32813/local/include -c -g  conftest.c >&5
"conftest.c", line 128: error #3696-D: cannot open source file "mach/cthreads.h"
  #include <mach/cthreads.h>
                            ^

1 error detected in the compilation of "conftest.c".
configure:8521: $? = 2
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define _GNU_SOURCE 1

| #define HAVE_LIBDLD 1
| #define _REENTRANT 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <mach/cthreads.h>
configure:8521: result: no
configure:8521: checking for mach/cthreads.h
configure:8521: result: no
configure:8533: checking for --with-pth
configure:8548: result: no
configure:8556: checking for pthread_create in -lpthread
configure:8572: cc +DD64 -I/home/r32813/local/include -o conftest -g  -L/home/r32813/local/lib -L/home/r32813/Build/2.7.1/Python-2.7.1 conftest.c -l
nsl -lrt -ldld -ldl  -lpthread >&5

Regards,
Wah Meng
Genesis Wafermap Support Ticket: