Suggested coding style

DevPlayer devplayer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 02:45:21 EDT 2011

On Sep 25, 11:41 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Tim Johnson <t... at akwebsoft.com> wrote:
> > BTW: If you like ranting as a spectator sport, I have found the
> >  Common Lisp newsgroup to be among the most spectacular. But that's
> >  just me.
>
> I do, actually, but I don't need to add another newsgroup. Rick
> provides plenty of material here, and I can easily sate myself in just
> a few other places that I frequent. It's quite amusing to watch those
> holy wars erupt...
>
> And every once in a while, they actually prove quite educative. I'm
> not sure how it happens, nor how to trigger it - hmm, perhaps this
> should be the subject of a scientific paper. "On ranting newsgroups
> and how to make them productive".
>
> ChrisA

I think intellectual growth from rants works like this:

Ranter: Bla bla, bad logic, poor facts, some point.
Others: Bla bla you rant Mr Ranter, some logic, few facts, same point.
Ranter: bad mouthing
Others: bad mouthing back
Ranter: Bla Bla, I don't rant, better logic counter facts, lots of
opinion (to not get called a ranter)
Others: Bla bla, You do rant Ranter, good counter logic and facts,
same point (some reason needs to put Ranter "in his place")
Ranter: Super Bla, long winded logic with some strong points, random
but accurate facts out the wazzu (tries to save face)
Others: Acknowleges Ranters point are accurate but claims they don't
apply
Ranter: makes case his points do.
Others: agrees to disagree, silently picks mute Ranter,
Ranter: picks a new topic and starts over.