Python 2.5 zlib trouble

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Mon Sep 26 15:04:45 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Jesramz <jesus.ramirez.utexas at gmail.com> wrote:

> I appreciate all the help, but I am still a little confused. Sorry,
> I'm a lay person.
>
> Should I download zlib1g-dev and install it to get the zlib module?
>
> and Alter the configure script to avoid future issues?
>
> Also about getting zlib I found the following:
>
> "I was able to recompile zlib
>
> $./configure --shared
>
> then recompile Python 2.5.1; I am now able to import the zlib module.
>
> cheers
>
> -sg"
>
> Does this mean that while in the zlib folder run ./configure shared
> and then install python?
> --

Not quite. This person was talking about configuring zlib, not Python.
Just about every Linux program out there has a ./configure file- it's
part of GNU Autotools, which many programs use as an easy way to
compile and install their software. Since the version of zlib on
Ubuntu Natty doesn't work for Python 2.5, this person just compiled
their own zlib (calling ./configure --shared; make; make install from
the zlib *source* folder that they downloaded) and then compiled their
own Python version (from the Python source folder that they
downloaded)