Python deadlock using subprocess.popen and communicate

Atherun atherun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:07:56 EDT 2011

On Sep 23, 7:58 am, Atherun <athe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 12:08 am, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Nobody <nob... at nowhere.com> wrote:
> > > It doesn't even
>
> > You intrigue me, sir. Does it odd?
>
> > What is the remainder of this aborted sentence?
>
> > ChrisA
>
> That is odd, I also find it odd that it deadlocks the entire python
> system, even threads that have nothing to do with the subprocess stop
> working, the entire thing just stops. I may not have pasted the full
> stack trace looking at it again, I'll double check in a few.
>
> I was able to repro this on a tool I have the source for, when I
> attach to it to debug visual studio tells me the threads are
> deadlocked and the only stack trace I have available to me is a low
> level os call to a WriteFile function.

Ya heres the full python stack:

ntoskrnl.exe!memset+0x64a
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xd52
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x19f
ntoskrnl.exe!__misaligned_access+0xba4
ntoskrnl.exe!__misaligned_access+0x1821
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xf5d
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x19f
ntoskrnl.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0xde
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x3a43
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x6c0
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x4a8
wow64.dll!Wow64SystemServiceEx+0x1ce
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x429
ntdll.dll!RtlUniform+0x6e6
ntdll.dll!RtlCreateTagHeap+0xa7
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0xe
ntdll.dll!ZwWaitForSingleObject+0x15
kernel32.dll!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0x43
kernel32.dll!WaitForSingleObject+0x12
python26.dll!_Py_svnversion+0xcf8
python26.dll!PyObject_AsReadBuffer+0x46d
python26.dll!PyEval_EvalCodeEx+0x738
python26.dll!PyEval_EvalFrameEx+0x467
python26.dll!PyObject_Realloc+0x90
python26.dll!PyEval_EvalCodeEx+0x8ef