extending class

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Sep 23 05:31:30 EDT 2011

Andrea Crotti wrote:

> I wanted to add a couple of parameters to a class from a given library
> (paste-script), but without changing the original code.
> So I thought, I create a wrapper class which adds what I need, and then
> dispatch all the calls to the super class.
>
> My following attempt gives, however, a recursion error, but why?

Inside __getattribute__() you ask for self.first_var which triggers another
__getattribute__() call that once again trys to determine the first_var
attribute before it returns...

Try using __getattr__() instead which is only triggered for non-existent
attributes

def __getattr__(self, name):
    return getattr(self.first_var, name)

or check for the attributes you don't want to delegate explicitly:

def __getattribute__(self, name):
    if name == "first_var":
        return super(PSIVar, self).__getattribute__(name)