Python deadlock using subprocess.popen and communicate

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Fri Sep 23 01:59:12 EDT 2011

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 11:19:28 -0700, Atherun wrote:

>> I suggest obtaining a copy of Process Explorer, and using it to
>> investigate the state of both processes (but especially the child) at the
>> point that the "deadlock" seems to occur.
>
> In the one case I can easily reproduce, its in a p4.exe call that I'm
> making both python and p4.exe have nearly the same stack for their
> threads:
> python:

> kernel32.dll!WaitForSingleObject+0x12
> python26.dll!_Py_svnversion+0xcf8

I haven't a clue how this happens. _Py_svnversion just returns a string:

_Py_svnversion(void)
{
    /* the following string can be modified by subwcrev.exe */
    static const char svnversion[] = SVNVERSION;
    if (svnversion[0] != '$')
        return svnversion; /* it was interpolated, or passed on command line */
    return "Unversioned directory";
}

It doesn't even