Decision on python technologies

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Thu Sep 22 14:16:05 EDT 2011

On 9/22/2011 9:00 AM Navkirat Singh said...
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have been a python developer for a bit now and for the life of me I am
> not being able to decide something. I am trying to develop a web based
> application in python. I am torn between using python 2 or 3. All the
> good frameworks are still in 2.x. Now, cherrypy, sqlalchemy and jinja2
> support python 3. But do I really want to do all the boilerplate work
> again? I have this strong urge to use python 3 and call it my
> indecisiveness , I am somehow not wanting to use 2.x, though it has
> everything I need to build my app. Hence, I finally decided to turn to
> the community for helping me make this decision.

I'd consider the development timeframe -- if it'll still be under
development within the timeframe of migration and availability of
desired tools then I'd start with 3 and focus on those parts that can be
worked on.  If your development timeframe is measured in weeks instead
of quarters or years, I'd just get it done with 2.

Emile