Where can I find a lexical spec of python?

Thomas Jollans t at jollybox.de
Wed Sep 21 12:55:45 EDT 2011

On 21/09/11 18:33, 程劭非 wrote:
> Thanks Thomas.
> I've read the document http://docs.python.org/py3k/reference/lexical_analysis.html
>
> but I worried it might leak some language features like "tab magic".
>
> For I'm working on a parser with JavaScript I need a more strictly defined spec.
>
> Currently I have a highlighter here ->http://shaofei.name/python/PyHighlighter.html
> (Also the lexer  http://shaofei.name/python/PyLexer.html)
>
> As you can see, I just make its behavior align with CPython, but I'm not sure what the real python lexical grammar is like.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a lexical grammar spec like other languages(e.g. http://bclary.com/2004/11/07/#annex-a)?

I believe the language documentation on docs.python.org is all the
documentation of the language there is. It may not be completely formal,
and in parts it concentrates not on the actual rules but on the original
implementation, but, as far as I can tell, it tells you everything you
need to know to write a new parser for the Python language, without any
ambiguity.

You appear to be anxious about implementing the indentation mechanism
correctly. The language documentation describes a behaviour precisely.
What is the problem?

Thomas