Python bug in Windows 8--report now, or later?

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 16:40:00 EDT 2011

On 2011.09.19 09:00 AM, Brian Curtin wrote:
> You said "the application does not create an app folder in the user's
> 'application data' directory" -- what does this mean, or rather, what
> is the specific folder you're expecting to have? If Python can't
> create the directory but you can do it manually, there may be some
> permission or access differences new to Windows 8. What does "echo
> %APPDATA%" give you?
I booted up the Win8 dev preview in a VM and os.environ['appdata'] gives
me the same result it would for Windows 7. Perhaps the problem lies in
the os.path.exists() call (that is, Win8 and Win7 react differently to
this call). I personally would try to create the directory and then
catch either a WindowsError (error 183) or an OSError (error 17) if the
directory already exists. I might play around with this later and post
some results.

--
CPython 3.2.2 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17640 | Thunderbird 6.0.2
PGP/GPG Public Key ID: 0xF88E034060A78FCB