way to calculate 2**1000 without expanding it?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Sep 16 22:19:12 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-16, Gary Herron <gherron at digipen.edu> wrote:
> On 09/16/2011 01:17 PM, Arnaud Delobelle wrote:
>>> Possibly, but why worry about it?  It's only around 300 digits.
>>>
>>> Since this sounds like homework, I won't post the one-liner I used to
>>> do it the brute-force way, but I will note that it takes about 200
>>> microseconds to run on my laptop.
>> Ah go on, let's make a codegolf contest out of it.
>> My entry:

>> 1366
>>

> Here's another one-liner using a generator instead of map:
>
>      sum(int(c) for c in str(2**1000))

Just in case you can't spare the 3KB required for the list of integers
that map creates. :)

In this case it doesn't matter, but it's not hard to find problems
where the difference between the memory requirements for a generator
and a map/list-comprehension are significant enough to worry about.

--
Grant