why ps/fname of a python interpreter changes across platforms?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Sep 16 10:44:12 EDT 2011

keobox <keobox at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know why the fname of the python interpreter changes across
> platforms.
>
> I saw a "isapytho" in some solaris 10 platforms.
> I saw "python2." in some Linux platforms.
> On most platforms the value is "python".
> Why?

It shows you part of the name of the program that is running.

On a typical Linux system you could run python using the default
interpreter 'python', or you could be explicit about the version you want
to run and use 'python2.4', 'python2.5', 'python2.6', 'python2.7',
'python3.2' (all of these are available on the system in from of me). Of
course 4 of those will be truncated to 'python2.' if you only look at the
first 8 characters (which is what your command does) but you also get
'python' and 'python3.'

That's why there's a lot of variation. I have no idea why it has a strange
name on Solaris, maybe someone compiled their own private version.