stackoverflow and c.l.py

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 04:39:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Westley Martínez <anikom15 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is really what I love and hate about the internet.  It's full of
> people who argue for the sake of venting their internal frustrations.
> How many discussions comparing declarative and imperative programming
> languages have you seen on the web?

Yes, it's both normal and useful on the internet to break off
conversation to argue about a minor technicality. But it's completely
inappropriate in other contexts, to the point that it can be used for
comedy. Two characters, in the middle of a rather heated debate, stop
to discuss grammar:

"Listen - I've come to pinch her!"
"Mercy! Whom?"
"You mean who."
"Nay! It is the accusative after the verb!"

ChrisA