How do I automate the removal of all non-ascii characters from my code?

Alec Taylor alec.taylor6 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 04:33:14 EDT 2011

from creole import html2creole

from BeautifulSoup import BeautifulSoup

VALID_TAGS = ['strong', 'em', 'p', 'ul', 'li', 'br', 'b', 'i', 'a', 'h1', 'h2']

def sanitize_html(value):

   soup = BeautifulSoup(value)

   for tag in soup.findAll(True):
       if tag.name not in VALID_TAGS:
           tag.hidden = True

   return soup.renderContents()
html2creole(u(sanitize_html('''<h1
style="margin-left:76.8px;margin-right:0;text-indent:0;">Abstract</h1>
style="margin-left:76.8px;margin-right:0;text-indent:0;">
[more stuff here]
"""))