Doctest failing

Tigerstyle laddosingh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 07:46:38 EDT 2011

On 10 Sep, 19:59, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 9/10/2011 7:20 AM, Tigerstyle wrote:
>
> > Hi guys.
>
> > I'm strugglin with some homework stuff and am hoping you can help me
> > out here.
>
> We appreciate you saying so instead of hiding that this is homework.
>

> > small_words = ('into', 'the', 'a', 'of', 'at', 'in', 'for', 'on')
>
> > def book_title(title):
> >      """ Takes a string and returns a title-case string.
> >      All words EXCEPT for small words are made title case
> >      unless the string starts with a preposition, in which
> >      case the word is correctly capitalized.
> >      >>>  book_title('DIVE Into python')
> >      'Dive into Python'
> >      >>>  book_title('the great gatsby')
> >      'The Great Gatsby'
> >      >>>  book_title('the WORKS OF AleXANDer dumas')
> >      'The Works of Alexander Dumas'
> >      """
> >      new_title = []
> >      title_split = title.strip().lower().split()
> >      for word in title_split:
> >          if title_split[0] in small_words:
> >              new_title.append(word.title())
> >          elif word in small_words:
> >              new_title.append(word.lower())
> >          else:
> >              new_title.append(word.title())
>
> The key issue is that you want to treat the first word one way (.title
> it) and the rest differently (conditionally .title or not) . So
> immediately separate the first from the rest and then process each.
> There are at least three ways to do the split. Perhaps I should stop
> with this hint, and certainly you should think a bit before reading
> further, but here is what I consider to be the most elegant 3.2 code.
> .
> ,
> ,
> ,
> .
> .
> .
>      first, *rest = title.strip().lower().split()
>      new_title = [first.title()]
>      for word in rest:
>          if word not in small_words:
>              word = word.title()
>          new_title.append(word)
>
> >      return(' '.join(new_title))
>
> doctest.testmod() now passes (there is no 'refactory' here)
>
> > def _test():
> >      import doctest, refactory
> >      return doctest.testmod(refactory)
> > if __name__ == "__main__":
> >      _test()
>
> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

Thank you Terry,

I went for this solution as it was the easiest for me to understand
and comment myself keeping in mind what level I am at right now.
Thanks a ton to everyone for sharing so much information and making it
easy to read and understand your thoughts. This was surely very very
educating read the replies from so many talented people.

Thanks and looking forward to hanging around here more :)