Doctest failing

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sat Sep 10 07:47:04 EDT 2011

Tigerstyle wrote:

> I'm strugglin with some homework stuff and am hoping you can help me
> out here.
>
> This is the code:
>
> small_words = ('into', 'the', 'a', 'of', 'at', 'in', 'for', 'on')

>     new_title = []
>     title_split = title.strip().lower().split()
>     for word in title_split:
>         if title_split[0] in small_words:
>             new_title.append(word.title())
>         elif word in small_words:
>             new_title.append(word.lower())
>         else:
>             new_title.append(word.title())

The logic of the for-loop is flawed; the expression

title_split[0] in small_words

will always evaluate to True if the first word is a "small word", even when
the loop is already past the first word. You can work around that with a
flag along these lines

first = True
for word in title_split:
    if first:
        # special treatment for the first word
        first = False
    else:
        # put checks for all words but the first here
    new_title.append(fixed_word) # assuming you have stored the titlecased
                                 # or lowercased word in the fixed_word
                                 # variable