Create an index from a webpage [RANT, DNFTT]

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Thu Sep 8 23:20:01 EDT 2011

On 09/09/11 12:59, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Simon Cropper
> <simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com>  wrote:
>> At present I am definitely getting the impression that my assumption that
>> something like this' must out there', is wrong.
>>
>> I have found a XML-Sitemaps Generator at http://www.xml-sitemaps.com,
>> this page allows you to create the XML files that can be uploaded to google.
>> But as stated I don't actually want what people now call 'sitemaps' I want a
>> automatically updated 'index / contents page' to my website. For example, if
>> I add a tutorial or update any of my links I want the 'global contents page'
>> to be updated when the python script is run.
>
> What you're looking at may be closer to autogenerated documentation
> than to a classic site map. There are a variety of tools that generate
> HTML pages on the basis of *certain information found in* all the
> files in a directory (as opposed to the entire content of those
> files). What you're trying to do may be sufficiently specific that it
> doesn't already exist, but it might be worth having a quick look at
> autodoc/doxygen - at least for some ideas.
>
> Chris Angelico

Chris,

You assessment is correct. Working through the PyPI I am having better
luck with using different terms than the old-term 'sitemap'.

I have found a link to funnelweb which uses the transmogrify library
(yeah, as if I would have typed this term into google!) that is
described as "Crawl and parse static sites and import to Plone".

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/funnelweb/1.0

As funnelweb is modular, using a variety of the transmogrify tools,
maybe I could modify this to create a 'non-plone' version.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides