Installing WebDAV server

Fokke Nauta fnautaNO at SPAMiae.nl
Thu Sep 8 09:57:48 EDT 2011

"Piet van Oostrum" <piet at vanoostrum.org> wrote in message
news:m2mxefb8nd.fsf at cochabamba.vanoostrum.org...
> "Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO at SPAMsolfon.nl> writes:
>
>> "Piet van Oostrum" <piet at vanoostrum.org> wrote in message
>> news:m2zkigartn.fsf at cochabamba.vanoostrum.org...

>>> From the log it looks like you are trying to access the server with the
>>> url:
>>>
>>> http://localhost:8008/ or something similar.
>>
>> Yes, I do.
>>
>>> This won't work as you would try to access the root of your webdav
>>> directory in this way (i.e. D:/webdav). The webdav server can only serve
>>> files, not directories, so you would have to access
>>> http://localhost:8008/somefile.txt where somefile.txt is a file in
>>> D:/webdav.
>>
>> OK, thanks. I am not familiar to WebDAV.
>> I tried. Got something different (at least something happened):
>> "Setuptools version 0.6c9 or greater has been installed.
>> (Run "ez_setup.py -U setuptools" to reinstall or upgrade.)"
>>
>> Wasn't able to find ez_setup.py yet.
>>
> Google for it and install.

I did.

> But I don't understand. You already had WebDav installed, so why do you
> need ez_setup.py?

Well, that was my mistake. I entered in the browser
http://10.0.0.140:8081/a.txt (one of the textfiles in the directory
d:\webdav on the server) and got the message:
"Setuptools version 0.6c9 or greater has been installed.
(Run "ez_setup.py -U setuptools" to reinstall or upgrade.)"

At first I thought this came from the webdav server. That's why I searched
for the ez_setup.py script. Once it was there, I ran it.
It took me some time before I realized it was the actual content of the
document a.txt on the webdav server what I saw. So it worked! Different that
I expected, but it works.

>>> This only applies to acces using a browser. If you access the server
>>> through a webdav-aware client (for example the Finder on Mac OS X, or
>>> probably the Windows Explorer) it can serve the contents of the
>>> directory.
>>> --
>>
>> Thanks. I am just trying to use a calendar with a webdav server. I don't
>> have any experience with that.
>> Simply using my browser to try it out.
>
> Did you try the calendar with the WebDav server running?

Not yet. The next step is the calendar.

> Dit you put a file in D:\webdav and try to get it with the browser?

Yes, and that worked! I am able to see the contents of text files.
In my unfamiliarity with WebDAV I expected to open the directory and see the
files in there.

Many thanks for your help.

Fokke