How to structure packages

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Thu Sep 8 05:51:58 EDT 2011

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:29:26 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> I suppose "one class per file" might be useful for those using an editor
> with no search functionality. Other than that, is there any
> justification for this rule? Any Java fans want to defend this?

Back in the dark ages known as the 1980s, we had a one-C-function-per-
file rule on a project with tens of thousands of C functions.  The big
benefit was that we always knew which source file contained which
function.  Computers could search a directory tree much more quickly than
that much source code.  (The exception was the so-called Information
Cluster, a collection of functions surrounding a data store, the
predecessor to the modern day object-with-state and/or closure).

Not a Java fan'ly yours,
Dan