Hello, and request for help with 'dynamic grids'

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Sep 5 19:09:17 EDT 2011

On 06/09/11 00:40, alex23 wrote:
> On Sep 5, 3:18 pm, Simon Cropper<simoncrop... at fossworkflowguides.com>
> wrote:
>> My investigations have generally found that windows/forms/data entry
>> screen can be created for a specific table or view, but these are
>> hard-wired during development. Is there anyway of rapidly defining the
>> grid during runtime so any table can be viewed?
>
> The commercial product Resolver One provides a grid/spreadsheet style
> interface with Python scripting capabilities. I'm not sure of its
> current licensing status but I believe it used to be free if used on
> open source projects.
>
> http://www.resolversystems.com/products/resolver-one/
>
> Each spreadsheet itself is Python code; I think it should be quite do-
> able to take something with introspective SQL capabilities like
> SQLAlchemy and have it title columns and fill them with the correct
> fields accordingly.
>
> Hope this helps.

Alex,

The Resolver Package looks good. Not exactly open source though. I
equate it to a proprietary package that can at times be used for free by
select groups.

The product creates spreadsheets with python code in the background
(instead of say VBA in Excel or Basic in Calc).

Access to a database still needs to be hard-wired, so it does not act as
a 'dynamic' viewer. The product works pretty much like Excel and Calc in
this manner.

Sheets can be shared, although the Resolver Exchange website does not
clarify the licence under which samples are released (GPL, CC, etc), so
it is debatable how any of this could reliably be used in creation of
derivatives.

 From what I can glean from this page...

      http://www.resolversystems.com/opensource/

      ... Resolver will allow you to use the package if you are an open
source project to create spreadsheets that can be redistributed. For
people to use these sheets they need to download the viewer or purchase
the package.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides