Functions vs OOP

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Sep 4 19:41:42 EDT 2011

William Gill wrote:

> The source of my error is "Functional Programming HOWTO
> (/python-3.1.3-docs-html/howto/functional.html)"

For those who don't have access to William's local file system, I expect
he's looking at this:

http://docs.python.org/release/3.1.3/howto/functional.html

or the most recent version:

http://docs.python.org/dev/howto/functional.html

[...]
> If you read the material with even a nominal understanding of the
> functional paradigm (functional relationships in a mathematical sense,
> not functions in the procedural sense), it is clear.  If you read it
> without consciously recognizing this difference, the material does
> nothing to alert you to the initial error.

What about the entire "Introduction" section, which starts with this
statement?

"This section explains the basic concept of functional programming"

If you would like to suggest improvements, please do so.

--
Steven