Detecting Ctrl-Alt-Del in Windows

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Thu Sep 1 20:10:14 EDT 2011

On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 08:52:49 -0700, Den wrote:

> Obviously, this is a windows-based question.  I know that Ctrl-Alt-Del
> is handled deep inside the OS, and I'm not trying to interrupt that.
> But is there some way to detect that a C-A-D has been pressed?

Not reliably. You might infer that Ctrl-Alt-Del has been used by the way
that certain operations behave, but that's fairly error-prone.

> Also, is there a corresponding key-sequence in Mac and Linux?  And how
> might one detect those too?

I don't know about Mac. Linux has some support for Ctrl-Alt-Del on the
console, and the optional "Magic SysRq" feature. But there's no easy way
to detect these (if the sequence is recognised by the kernel, it's not
reported by the usual mechanisms).