Motion Tracking with Python

Derek Simkowiak derek at simkowiak.net
Thu Sep 29 22:16:52 EDT 2011

Hello,
I have a neat Python project I'd like to share. It does real-time motion
tracking, using the Python bindings to the OpenCV library:

http://derek.simkowiak.net/motion-tracking-with-python/

There is a YouTube video showing the script in action.

It's especially neat because my daughter and I worked together on this
project. We used it to track her two pet gerbils, as part of her science
fair project. She wrote her own (separate) Python script to read the
motion tracking log files, compute distance and velocity, and then
export those values in a CSV file. Like I say on the web page: "I’m
convinced that Python is the best language currently available for
teaching kids how to program."

I also use Python professionally, and it's worked out great every time.
There's no job Python can't handle.

Thanks,
Derek Simkowiak
http://derek.simkowiak.net